For Immediate Release
Fostering research, commercialization and business development in Northwestern Ontario
FedNor investment supports state-of-the-art equipment and technology for new shared research and incubation spaces at Lakehead University
November 2, 2018 – Thunder Bay, Ontario – Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario – FedNor
Northwestern Ontario’s top researchers and innovative, job-creating businesses and entrepreneurs will benefit from state-of-the-art equipment and technology at Lakehead University’s new Centre for Advanced Studies in Engineering and Sciences (CASES) thanks to a Government of Canada investment of $1 million.
The Honourable Patty Hajdu, Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour and Member of Parliament for Thunder Bay–Superior North, and Don Rusnak, Member of Parliament for Thunder Bay—Rainy River, made the announcement today on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for FedNor.
The equipment and technology featured at CASES will enable the university to establish a new student entrepreneurship centre to encourage student-based start-ups through business mentorship and training, and house an incubation space with tools and resources that will help create new technologies, products and more.
“Innovation is recognized by our government as a key priority and a pillar for the Prosperity and Growth Strategy for Northern Ontario. The significant contributions from Northwestern Ontario are essential to the overall success of the strategy. Our investment today will help bring industry and academia together to support the development and commercialization of new technologies, ideas and processes with the potential to transform the regional and national economy.”
- The Honourable Patty Hajdu, Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour, and Member of Parliament for Thunder Bay—Superior North
“I am proud to be part of a government that recognizes the unique needs of Northwestern Ontario and is investing to support our innovators and job creators. This strategic investment in Lakehead University will help to further position this region as a leader in the innovation economy, while encouraging entrepreneurship and strengthening our economy.”
- Don Rusnak, Member of Parliament for Thunder Bay—Rainy River
“Thank you to the Government of Canada for continuing to recognize the value of postsecondary learning at Lakehead University. FedNor’s contribution will allow Lakehead to provide more effective research spaces for our Canada Research Chairs, as well as offer incubation and makerspace areas on campus to help foster a new generation of entrepreneurs and start-ups in Northern Ontario.”
- Moira McPherson, President and Vice-Chancellor, Lakehead University
“Lakehead’s success in research and innovation has been steadily growing for years. This funding will make it possible for our talented researchers and students to do their work to the fullest of their abilities in new labs with state-of-the-art equipment.”
- Andrew Dean, Vice-President, Research and Innovation, Lakehead University
- The Prosperity and Growth Strategy for Northern Ontario outlines the Government of Canada’s approach to ensure the region can fully benefit from the national Innovation and Skills Plan. It is focused on three key economic development areas: supporting innovation; growing companies; and building stronger communities.
- The funding announced today is provided through FedNor’s Northern Ontario Development Program, which supports projects that promote sustainable community economic development, enhance business development and growth, and facilitate innovation.
- By combining educational, entrepreneurial and research elements in a shared on-campus environment, CASES will support applied research and development leading to commercialization and create opportunities for industry and business, as well as complement other resources in the region.
- To find out more about our programs and services, please visit: gc.ca
- Follow us on Twitter @FedNor
- Follow Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada on Twitter: @ISED_CA
– 30 –