Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Fort McMurray as they brave the fourth day of the Fort McMurray fire. Our hearts go out to the 80,000 residents who have been evacuated, and everyone else who has been affected by this tragedy.
The Government Operations Centre, based out of Public Safety Canada, has been assisting with the staging of resources and preparations for deployment, including:
- monitoring and reporting on the situation in Fort McMurray on a 24-hour basis;
- sharing information with senior officials and the Alberta government;
- connecting with law enforcement, emergency management organizations, and non-governmental organizations, among others.
The Canadian Forces stand ready to offer assistance during periods of crisis:
- the Royal Canadian Air Force is deploying four CH-146 Griffon helicopters to Fort McMurray and one CC-130J Hercules to CFB Cold Lake, and;
- is ready to provide assistance with evacuation efforts, delivering essential aid to affected regions, and transporting firefighting personnel and equipment to these regions.
- The Government of Canada will match individual charitable donations to the Canadian Red Cross in support of disaster relief efforts in the affected communities (through the Disaster Financial Assistance Agreement)
- To those displaced, please remember: We are resilient. We are Canadians. And we will make it through this most difficult time, together.
We are thinking of – and praying for – the people of Fort McMurray, and they can absolutely count on the full support of this government. We stand with Fort McMurray.
Donate to The Red Cross & help those affected by #FortMacFire